Public Speaking Contest (Results)
- Schedule and registration information.
- Two levels:
- Level 1: Grades 1-5 (speech time of 2 minutes)
- Level 2: Grade 6 and higher (speech time of 3 minutes)
- Three trophies for each level -- for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize winners.
- Participation medals for all.
- The actual speech topics were given to the contestants one week before the contest. This was done to give them ample time to prepare!
- The speeches will be scored by at least two independent evaluators. The evaluators are certified English Language Arts teachers.
- The final score of each speech will be the average of the individual scores.
- The time given for each speech will be 2 minutes in the Level 1 contest and 3 minutes in the Level 2 contest.
- Participants are allowed to use 3x5 cards, but no other props are allowed.
- The speakers are encouraged to use their full allotted time. However, if they go over more than 30 seconds over the time limit, their score will be reduced by 20% for every 30 seconds.
- The evaluators will judge the essays based on the following criteria:
Number of ideas
Relevance to topic
Overall organization and flow
Eye contact and articulation
Voice and fluency
Contest Preparation Help
- Example topics for Level 1:
- What is your favorite subject in school? What subject is your least favorite? Describe both subjects. Then tell how they are alike and how they are different.
- You have received a gift of money. The money is enough to buy either a video game or a book. Which would you buy? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- Example topics for Level 2:
- Do you believe that harmful global changes are occurring due to human actions? If so, what can we and should we do about it?
- Some believe that fast food restaurants do not serve healthy food. Should the government regulate the type of food served in fast food restaurants?